2.10.15

My Rich Woman

It's winter 1987/88, and I'm living with my first (English) wife in Greece. In February I get a telegram (those were the days) from Germany, my father had fallen ill with lung cancer. So I go back to Germany while my wife stays in Greece.

I was brought up in the Ruhrvalley, an industrial area relatively close to the Belgium border. So you wouldn't expect any tourists there. However, on the day I arrived I went with a good friend to a pub. We sat down at the bar, and a couple of minutes later this English lady from London sits down right next to me.

We obviously start to chat, and after about 5 minutes she suddenly says "I've got to read your cards!"

She gets a pack of cards from the bartender, does some things with them, and then says: "There is somebody seriously ill in your family, and I see you marrying a rich woman."

Remember, I had just met her, so she couldn't possibly know about my father. And I told her that I was already married. She simply insisted that this was what the cards told her.

Little did I know at the time that my wife was getting ready to leave me, so a couple of weeks later I was single again. Still shell-shocked, I start to hitchhike through Europe.

I arrive in Vienna one early morning in May. I book into a youth hostel, it's six o'clock in the morning, and this guy from Jugoslavia starts a conversation with me.

After a couple of minutes he says "I've got to read your horoscope!" He simple needed my date of birth, did some calculations, then said: "There is somebody seriously ill in your family, and I see you marrying a rich woman."

So ladies, it's friggin' 2015, and I'm beginning to get old.....

WHERE ON EARTH ARE YOU?!?

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great story and the Friday morning chuckle, George!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not me. Still looking for my rich man, LOL :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're gorgeous.. What a shame it has to be a woman. Hope you find her

    ReplyDelete