14.4.15

Just Do It Gently, Please

We’re all sinners, in my humble opinion. I don’t mean it necessarily in a religious way. I believe that my great hero, the carpenter from Palestine, just summed up what humanity was by then ready to hear (or not). It’s not always easy to hear the truth. 

That’s why they killed Him, I guess.

To sin is not exclusively to outright lie, steal or seduce your neighbour's spouse. Those sins are easy to recognize. 


More than anything it means to rarely hit the mark, to give our best only on a limited number of occasions, knowing that with just a little more effort we could do better.

And we know it, at least if we are willing to listen to that nagging voice inside us.

That implies that we need correction, and that correction comes usually in the form of criticism by our fellow men or women.

Nothing new there, that’s how the ball rolls.

However, it’s not so much the criticism that stings. I believe that all of us deep inside know that we are imperfect, and that criticism is usually justified.

However, there are people who do it with brutal honesty. My hallucination is that they get more a kick out of the ‘brutal’ than the ‘honesty’.

People may forget what you said, but they will never forget how you made them feel. 

2 comments:

  1. "there are people who do it with brutal honesty. My hallucination is that they get more a kick out of the ‘brutal’ than the ‘honesty’."

    This.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what have you found to be a way to "say it gently?" I'm sure a lot of people would be interested to know because we do not see many real life examples. (as in "You're fired!") Your experience as a teacher probably allowed you ample opportunities to practice kind honesty.

    ReplyDelete